Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1

Write to me,
Stick Stickly
P.O. Box 963
New York City,
New York State
10108!

Nick in the Afternoon was a programming block on Nickelodeon that aired from 1993 to 1998 on weekday afternoons during the summer, hosted by Stick Stickly.

During its first summer, the programming consisted of normal Nickelodeon shows that would have aired regardless, but in the second summer, Nick in the Afternoon made some key changes, instead they started showing preselected Nicktoons with added segments such as "U-Pick". U-Pick meant views picked the show and the episode they wanted to see. During U-Pick, the viewers could also vote on U-Dip. During U-Dip, Stick Stickly would be dipped in a substance that the viewers voted on. Viewers would occasionally choose a program that hadn't been aired in many years, for example, You Can't Do That on Television. The preselected segments were indicated by a dial using Stick Stickly as the spinner, to keep the cartoons a surprise.

I still believe Stick Stickly was one of the best "commercial" ideas Nickelodeon could've had during the 90's. It was cheap, but was done in such a way that kids couldn't help but be glued to their television sets in the afternoons.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteIntegrity Messenger IMAOLMSN
^
Pumjetsu
 Posted: Apr 26 2011, 08:41 PM
Quote Post

Acme Alumni
Group Icon

Group: Veteran
Member No.: 6

I used to love Stick Stickly. Kind of weird, though. A shrill pitched talking popsicle stick. Seems like one of those things that if I just saw today, I would wonder what the appeal was. But I guess nostalgia is full of weird things as well as awesome things.

Also, I bought a bunch of popsicle sticks and little craft eyes and made my own family of Stickly's. Just needed to mention that.
PMEmail PosterIntegrity Messenger IM
^
Ryu Hardt
 Posted: Apr 26 2011, 11:27 PM
Quote Post

Supa Admin'jin
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2

Who doesn't remember Stick Stickly!?! He was the shiz back in the day!

I remember he'd always be on when we were supposed to be napping while at our babysitters. laugh.gif Or course our babysitter was a smart one and put us in the one bedroom which had a TV, so you can guess what we were doing. I don't doubt our babysitter knew what we were doing, but back then we were so naive. biggrin.gif

I sincerely miss the days when we had Pizza Head, Stick Stickly, and Nick Jr.'s character Face; whom were all used as marketing campaigns.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
Ravenholme
 Posted: Apr 26 2011, 11:38 PM
Quote Post

Acme Alumni
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

Oh, I remember Stick Stickly. Because for whatever reason, he scared the hell out of me. I don't know why - I wasn't an incredibly wimpy kid or anything - but he was just unnatural. His eyes were googly, his voice was weird and the situations the dude got into were just flat out insane. So of course, fear is my response to a popsicle stick. As I got older I became less frightened of him and mah fear became antipathy. So yeah, maybe I'm just weird but that dude is definitely something from my childhood I wouldn't mind forgetting sometime soon.

Knowing him and that voice, he's probably some kind of weird sex predator who likes taking pictures of kids when they're all excited. Freak.

Just in case it isn't abundantly clear, I'm putting you guys on. Stick freaked me out for awhile, but I grew to kinda like his segments when I got older. Just gotta have my fun. wink.gif
PM
^
Fid
 Posted: Apr 26 2011, 11:54 PM
Quote Post

Pokémon Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 9

Stick Stickly was another thing I remember pretty damn well. Watching both of those videos, it is a pretty weird character. Whoever thought of that must of smoked a bowl before hand. I think one time I did try writing to that damn stick, but now looking back on it I'm kinda glad I never sent that in (and if I did, I never got anything back from my memory). Back then I didn't remember it having as weird of a voice, but that was a good 12-13 years ago at the least.

Only in the 90's could they get away with this.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteIntegrity Messenger IMMSN
^
Krumm'sLiLMonster
 Posted: Jul 29 2011, 01:39 AM
Quote Post

Porkchop
Group Icon

Group: Member
Member No.: 342

I wrote to him and it got returned. TODAY NICK FAILS!
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Nostalgia Center | Next Newest »

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll